State Route 1 (SR 1), to give it its correct name is a major north-south state highway that runs along virtually the entire Pacific coastline of the U.S. State of California. Covering a total distance of just short of 656 miles, it is the longest state route in CA.
If you are looking for something classic to show off on Highway 1, then your search is over. Click here to view some of the vintage dream cars waiting to take you along California’s fabulous SR 1. The cars come with professional handlers, but if you would rather drive, grab the wheel of a 1965 Mustang convertible. Perhaps you prefer the bragging rights in a 1970 Chevrolet Impala. These are just two of the many choices.
Time to get your classic beauty from yesteryear on the road! Few stretches of highway anywhere compare with the scenic magnificence that driving Highway 1 offers both driver and passengers. We decided to share some of the hot stops right here to help you plan:
- We're starting your journey from Golden Gate Park, San Francisco’s 1,000-acre oasis. Then it is south across that iconic art deco span called Golden Gate Bridge, which first opened in 1937. Welcome to San Francisco!
- Passing through San Jose at the south end of San Francisco Bay, next up is Santa Cruz. It’s a 1 hour 20 minute drive from San Francisco. This is where the 60s live on, especially along the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.
- An hour's drive south of Santa Cruz brings you to beautiful Monterey, which lies at the southern end of a bay with the same name. Stunning Point Lobos State Natural Reserve waits to share its many secrets.
- Continuing southward, the Big Sur is next up. The awesome views start just after Bixby Bridge, one of the tallest single span concrete bridges in the world. Among the many attractions the Big Sur boasts, are Pfeiffer Beach, McWay Falls, Point Sur State Historic Park, and Ragged Point.
- San Simeon features next, and is the perfect place for a break, perhaps even on an overnight stay. A visit to Hearst Castle on the Enchanted Hill is obligatory – it is a museum like no other. Over a million people visit this legendary attraction annually.
- Continuing our journey through ‘Saintly Territory’, we pass through San Luis Obispo, Santa Maria and eventually arrive in Santa Barbara. This is culture vulture space, with attractions like the Lobero Theatre, Santa Barbara Historical Museum, and the Arlington Theatre.
- Malibu needs no introduction, but when you arrive there follow the signs to Point Dume, where you find a beautiful sandy beach, lovely cliffs and rocky coves.
- Next stop ‘The Angels’, or the City of Los Angeles in English. The Kodak Theatre, a walk along the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and a drive down Sunset Boulevard will reward you well.
- A visit to Long Beach involves a minor detour from SR 1. Enjoy the drive along Dana Point, Laguna Beach, Newport Beach and Huntington Beach before entering San Diego County. Without giving away too much, the coast around the Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve is stunning!
- San Diego marks the end of your exhilarating adventure down State Route 1. We hope you enjoy your ride in style in the classic car of your choice. We also hope our 10 Stops Worth Making on Highway 1 help you plan a memorable trip.
Over to You!
There is something cool about Highway 1. Perhaps you are local, or maybe you have just landed and want to experience something special…Whatever your choice, get yourself and your group behind the wheel and enjoy the most spectacular scenes found anywhere on the planet. Enjoy your ride!