Q1. Vinty 101 - How do I sign up and rent a car?
As a visitor, you can view and search for cars on Vinty without an account. To rent a car, you must create an account or give us a call.
Creating an account is easy. Head over to cars.drivevinty.com, click on Sign Up and follow the instructions to send your first rental request!
Once you create an account and you are looking to drive a classic car, we will send you a follow-up email to collect information about your driver's license. We will use this information to generate a Motor Vehicle Report before.
Q2. Mobile - does Vinty has a mobile application?
Vinty has been built using responsive design, meaning the website will work with any screen size.
Vinty does not currently offer official iPhone, Android or other mobile apps. You can access Vinty with your mobile browser and use it as if you were on a desktop. You will be presented with a lighter layout that fits their screen size.
All Vinty features are available on mobile sizes as well.
Q1. How do I get started?
1) Sign up for an account at cars.drivevinty.com.
2) Find the vehicle that you would like to rent in the listings page. You'll notice that while most cars are available for hire on a per-day basis, some cars ar rented by the hour (usually for chauffeured rentals, photo shoots or corporate use).
3) Click on the car to view more pictures and information about its location and its owner.
4) If you have questions, send the owner a message by pressing "Contact" on the car's page.
5) Once you are satisfied with the car, select the dates or hours you are interested in, press "Request to Book", and follow through with the payment steps.
5) Your booking will be confirmed, and the money transferred when the owner accepts the reservation. If he does not respond within three days of your request, the transaction is cancelled.
6) If this is your first time renting a car on Vinty, to ensure the safety of the vehicles, you need to fill in our questionnaire and provide your driver's' license information so we can check your motor vehicle records.
7) Once you have booked the car, you will receive instructions from the owner. To pick up your car, you will be required to present the same driver's license which was used to register for your Vinty account..
Q2. What type of cars can I rent on Vinty?
The cars available on the Vinty platform are classic cars as defined by the Antique Automobile Club of America: “a classic or antique car is any vehicle that is 25 years old or older.”
All cars have to be up to the “Vinty standard”: in excellent functioning order and cosmetic condition!
The current vehicle categories include:
- Classic Cars
- Wedding Cars
- Muscle Cars
- Classic Camping
- Classic Trucks
You can book or hire a vehicle with or without a driver.
Q3. Mileage Limits & One-Way Rentals
SELF DRIVE RENTALS
We often get asked about how many miles you can do when you do a self-drive rental on Vinty. The answer is: it depends.
Most of the cars have at least 75 miles per day included in the rental. Some of them have 100 or 200 miles per day included. Please make sure to read the listing description carefully as it will be stated explicitly. You can purchase additional mileage for your daily self-drive rental for $1.5/mile.
ONE WAY RENTALS
We know that some of you would like to do a one-way rental from LA to San Francisco (and vice-versa) or Las Vegas to LA, etc. We want to accommodate your needs and doing a one-way rental is possible, however, there is a cost associated with this type of rental. We need to send one of our team members to pick up the car after you are done with your great trip!
If you are interested in doing a one-way classic car rental, please ask email@example.com. We will be glad to help you.
Q4. Chauffeured Rentals
On each classic car for hire (chauffeured rental), you will see the hourly rental rate. One thing to keep in mind is that this rate is calculated from the moment when the vehicle leaves the owner’s garage until the time it returns to the garage.
Most listings have a minimum of 2 hours (a few have 3 hours), even if the job takes less time than that. The main reason for this is that it takes the owner the same amount of time to prepare the vehicle no matter of how long it is used for.
Q5. Pick-up, where do I pick up the car I booked?
Once your booking is confirmed, we will send you the address where you can pick up the car.
You will pick up the car from the owner's garage or another agreed location. Vinty will send you a confirmation email with the address along with any other relevant information about the rental.
Q6. Is it possible to get a car delivered?
Yes, a vehicle delivery or pick-up is available. Additional fees may apply. It typically starts at $75. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we can arrange everything
Q7. Cancellation, what happens if I change my mind?
How do we handle cancellations?
Everyone can change their minds, if you decide to cancel your reservation, please contact us right away by emailing email@example.com. We offer a full refund until 15 days prior to your rental date and a 50% refund until 72 hours in advance. The full balance is due after that.
Cancellation by the Owner
If the car owner has to cancel your reservation, he will inform us and we will provide a replacement option or a full refund. If you have any questions, ask us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q8. Vinty Terms and Conditions for Renters
Our T&Cs are available for download here.
HELP FOR OWnERS
Q1. Can I list my car(s) on Vinty?
We are glad that you are interested in listing your car with us! There are many good reasons to rent out your classic car; we even wrote a blog post about it.
You can get started right away by following this easy guide to list your list your classic car. If you need help or want us to take care of it for you, you can contact us at email@example.com or give us a call at +1(800) 906-6907, and we will guide you through our onboarding process.
Q2. What does the onboarding process look like?
If you want to add your cars on Vinty, you can follow this guide to get started.
You will need to create an account on Vinty and your listing directly on the platform.
Finally, you may need to enter your payout information so you can accept reservation through the platform.
Q3. What kind of rentals can you do? Is anyone going to drive your car?
The answer is, it is totally up to you! Whether you own a business renting (classic) cars or you are a private collector/owner, we would love to list your cars on Vinty!
On average, we generated $3,000 of rental revenue for our partners within the last six months. This income is not guaranteed, but it is relevant enough for you to try!
We offer three rental choices for classic car owners:
- With Chauffeur: You will service weddings, tours or special events.
- Photo/Video shoot, Media & Corporate use: Your car will be use in a commercial, movie or for paper/digital commercial prints.
- Self Drive: You will allow others to drive your car. Vinty will help you vet the authorized driver by obtaining a Motor Vehicle Department as well as verifying insurance coverage.
Due to the unique nature of the vehicles we rent and the way the insurance industry works, all renters must carry their own comprehensive and collision damage policies. A Vinty team member will verify coverage with the renter's insurance company and make sure it will transfer over to the vehicle being rented.
Q1. How does insurance work?
SELF DRIVE RENTERS
Like renting a modern rental car, you are responsible for all damage to the vehicle. Check with your insurance company and your credit card company to see what coverage is offered from them.
All drivers must have proof of their private automobile insurance. Once your reservation is accepted, we will ask you to provide a proof of insurance for the rental. Due to the unique nature of the vehicles we rent and the way the insurance industry works, all renters must carry their own comprehensive and collision damage policies. A Vinty team member will verify coverage with the renter's insurance company and make sure it will transfer over to the vehicle being rented.
If you do not have sufficient coverage, the car owner may be able to provide a Loss Damage Waiver for the rental for an additional fee ($55 to $125/day depending on the car). The owner will provide you with insurance details for your vehicle rental.
Please, make sure to ask the owner for roadside assistance contact information when you pick up the car. Roadside assistance is included with every rental at no cost to you.
Companies renting our classic cars for photo/video shoots or business events are expected to provide a Certificate of Liability Insurance.
Owner must maintain insurance policies on the vehicle that provide protection against bodily injury and property damage to third parties at levels of coverage that meet minimum insurance levels required by law.
Q2. Roadside assistance: what happens if the car breaks down or gets into an accident?
We hate when that happens, but classic cars (just like any car) could break down during your rental.
The owner will provide you with insurance details for your vehicle rental. Be sure to ask for the roadside assistance contact information when you pick up the car. If you encounter a problem with the car during the rental, please contact the car owner and report the incident to Vinty by giving us a call at +1(800)906-6907.
Roadside assistance is included with every rental at no cost to you.
Q3. Trust - how do reviews and ratings work?
Building a community of true Classic Car lovers is one of our top priorities. We strongly encourage you to review your counterpart after you completed a rental.
After a rental, both the car owner and the renter can review each other. It consists of a positive or negative rating (thumbs up or down) and a free-form text comment. You can choose not to give feedback to the other party. However, you can't refuse a review from the other side after a completed transaction.
Reviews are visible to everyone on each user's profile page. A car owner's rating (percentage of positive ratings and number of ratings) is also shown on each listing page.
Q4. Trust - What should I do if someone asks me to pay outside of the Vinty website?
Don’t send them money, and immediately let us know. We consider our relationship with our owners to be mutually beneficial and based on shared trust.
This requirement helps protect our owners from fraud, potential risk, and other liabilities. By keeping payment and messaging on the platform, we can help ensure your security.
Payments and pricing
Q1. Payment Methods
All major credit cards (VISA, Mastercard, American Express, etc.) are the preferred method of payment for rental fees and damage deposits.
The following steps occur in a paid transaction on the Vinty marketplace:
- The Car owner posts a listing and defines the price for the classic car rental.
- As a renter, you open the listing page and click on "Request to Book". You need to choose the start and end dates of the booking before clicking "Request".
- On the following page, you can review the details of the rental and click "Checkout with PayPal". You are taken to PayPal to complete the payment authorization.
- Once the payment is done, you are taken to a page that displays the transaction details. The car owners need to accept the transaction before the money is transferred.
- The car owner gets an email notification of a new transaction that needs to be accepted. If the transaction is not accepted within 3 days, the transaction is canceled and no money is transferred. Once accepted, the money (minus PayPal's processing fee) is transferred to the car owners' PayPal account. Both parties get a receipt of the transaction via email.
- You can then discuss freely with the owner to agree on details. When the order is completed (rental is complete), you can mark the order as completed
- You can then review your experience while the car owner does the same.
All Vinty and Payment processing fees are included when paying online in the listing price unless explicitly written in the car description or for custom rental requests. What you see is what you pay! However, please note that some owners chose to not include taxes in their price or might offer additional optional services that will come at an extra cost to handle directly during the car pick-up. Please read the listing description carefully and/or feel free to ask a Vinty staff member to avoid any bad surprises!
Q3. Security deposit - do I need to pay a security deposit to rent a car?
SELF DRIVE RENTALS
Yes, the owner will require you to pay a deposit before renting a vehicle. The deposit is a credit card authorization (most of the time $1,000) and when the car is returned without damage, the deposit is returned.
You will be charged the stated security deposit in-person when you pick up the vehicle from the owner unless told otherwise by Vinty. To make sure, you can contact the owner by clicking "Contact" on the car's page.
Q4. How do Vinty gift cards work?
To send a gift card to anyone in the United States, clic on "Send a Gift Card". Once you contact us, we will collect the information we need for payment and send the gift card by mail; the recipient can easily use it for their Vinty rental.
If you have a gift card to redeem, please give us a call at +1(800)906-6907. The balance from gift cards will be applied when a rental is booked by credit card.
Right now, gift cards can only be purchased in US dollars, but we will be expanding the program in additional currencies in the future.